You are here

Following is a complete list of the current requirements for civil marriage within Mexico. We encourage you to double check requirements prior to departure in case of any changes:

  • Completed marriage application (obtain an application from your wedding coordinator, or the offices of Registro Civil).   
  • Certified Copy of Birth Certificate for both bride and groom.
  • Original and a copy of valid passport.
  • Original and a copy of tourist card (which you will receive upon entry into Mexico).
  • Complete blood tests and chest x-rays, along with physicians written certificate of health. Blood tests and x-rays should be performed in Mexico.
  • Four witnesses over the age of 18 with passport and tourist card. Must be present at the ceremony.    
  • Receipt of payment of fees to Registro Civil.
  • Divorce or death certificate if applicable to earlier marriages. These must include Apostile certification.

Be sure and let us know you are planning a wedding. Many properties have event fees or limitations on use. We can help you find the right accommodations or setting for your event and ensure the staff will not be surprised when your guests arrive.

All documents must be submitted to the Registro Civil, or Offices of Civil Registry. For more information please feel free to contact us or your onsite wedding coordinator. These requirements apply to civil marriage. Civil marriages in Mexico are recognized as legal in the U.S. Anyone wishing for a religious ceremony may do so, but such ceremonies are not considered a legal form of union. According to international law, a marriage performed in Mexico is valid across all borders, unless the parties are deliberately evading restrictions imposed by their own national laws. Therefore, a Mexican marriage will be valid in the U.S. provided there are no U.S. impediments.

Only an officer of the Registro Civil (the Mexican equivalent of the Registrar General's Office) can legally perform a marriage ceremony.

A religious wedding may be performed after presenting proof of a civil marriage (an authenticated or legalized certificate of the civil marriage must be presented as proof).

Non-Mexicans are not subject to a residence requirement but will have to identify themselves with their passport and tourist card and/or visa (the document that shows their entry to Mexico).

Marriages are performed for a fee at the Oficina del Registro Civil, but they may be performed elsewhere for an additional fee, which will be determined by the Registro Civil. The current fee is approximately US$500.00 for non-nationals.

If a foreigner intends to marry a Mexican citizen, the Mexican National Migration Institute (Instituto Nacional de Migración) must grant a permit; processing of this permit takes approximately two weeks and the application must be submitted by the couple intending to marry or by the Mexican citizen.

In some Mexican states, a divorced person may not marry in Mexico within one year of divorce order, issued by a judge, unless otherwise indicated in the divorce decree.

Persons under 18 years of age cannot marry without the consent of their parents or legal guardians.